Friday, October 16, 2009

Do the Mario, One Last Time


There's no doubt that you have probably heard about "Captain" Lou Albano's (1933-2009) death on Wednesday morning. To my surprise, it has been covered by the news quite a bit. I never realized just how many people were such big fans of him, but I'm glad.

Now, I never knew Lou for his wrestling career, although he did have a very special one. I knew him as Mario. He starred in the cartoon classic The Super Mario Bros. Super Show , which I absolutely adore. It is one of the most cheesy kids shows ever made, but that's where its charm comes from. And Lou Albano made that show what it was.

With Lou Albano gone, it feels like a part of my childhood is gone. That may sound incredibly lame, but it's true. So, for one last time, let's "do the Mario", and remember the impact Lou had on the video game, and wrestling, culture.

If you don't know of Lou Albano's role as Mario, watch the clips below and be ready to get hooked.



No comments: